SEO, Google and sub-domains
In this feature, you can:
- Learn about the use of SEO, Google, and sub-domains
To access your blog, do the following:
- Login to your WebStore Manager.
- Go to Design & Content > Content.
- Click Blog.
Purpose of a blog
- One of the primary uses of a blog is to provide useful information to your customers and potential customers.
- This has the side effect of providing content that Google will scan and use to improve the visibility of your store in their search pages.
- Driving content on your WebStore with a blog can boost your SEO as long as you have the time, energy, and inspiration to keep it updated.
- If you want to host your blog on a completely separate server from NitroSell's, then a sub domain is the best solution.
- Host your blog on the platform of your choice and give NitroSell customer support the IP address or CNAME and we will map it to your blog (assuming we're controlling your domain's DNS).
- Google penalises duplicate content in its attempt to wipe out spam and, in the past, putting a blog on a sub-domain did not help with SEO on your primary domain.
- Since then Google now sees both your domain and sub-domains as tied to the website and you get shared SEO benefits between the two in Google Search rankings.
- The latest position is very well explained here in a 2 minute video by Matt Cutts, the public face of Google SEO:
Q. If we post the same blog content on both, does Google penalize us for duplicate content, or does it recognize the ownership of both blogs as being tied together and therefore give us the points for cross linking?
A: Leave your blog where it is but put it in a sub-domain - don’t duplicate it. Google will definitely penalise for putting it in both places. They hate duplicate content more than anything.
If you have any problems with this feature, contact our support team by opening a ticket.